Here you’ll find all our policy documents that govern how we made decisions at the Guardians.
Statement of Investment Policies, Standards and Procedures
The key policy document for the Guardians and Fund is the Statement of Investment Policies, Standards and Procedures (SIPSP). The SIPSP, which is required under our governing legislation, establishes the framework for the governance and investment of the Fund.
The SIPSP includes:
- An introduction to our purpose and our interpretation of our legislative requirements
- A list, and short explanation, of each of the investment policies informing the SIPSP
- Asset classes and selection criteria
- The benchmarks against which performance is measured
- Standards for reporting investment performance
- Our approach to Responsible Investment (see also Responsible Investment)
- The balance between risk and return in the portfolio;
- The Fund management structure;
- The use of derivative financial instruments, short selling and securities lending;
- Risk management;
- Valuation of unlisted assets; and
- A discussion of our investment constraints.
Sitting beneath the SIPSP, and referenced in it, are our Responsible Investment Framework, a range of policies relating to the investment of the Fund, and other policies that govern the Guardians' operational practices.
Audit Committee Terms of Reference, Employee Policy and Remuneration Committee Terms of Reference, Board Member Code of Conduct
Includes guidelines for responding to media enquiries, Official Information Act requests, sponsorship and information management
How responsibilities are delegated from the Board to the CEO and to management
Aims to implement effective controls and frameworks to ensure that all aspects of derivative use are effectively managed
Direct investments we make in investments not covered by the Portfolio Completion and Internally Managed Securities Policy
Covers the Guardians’ approach to Diversity and Inclusiveness that affects all of our permanent and temporary employees
How we invest with external investment managers
Includes Employee Code of Conduct and Securities Trading Procedure
The asset classes we invest in, the value adding strategies we use, and the investment constraints we apply
Establishes the approach taken to measure the fair value of all investments held by the Fund
How we ensure the Fund meets our desired risk allocations and the related management of internal investment mandates
How we enter into major procurement contracts other than with external investment managers
How we manage operational risks for the Guardians. Includes Internal Incident Process
A value added strategy we use to adjust the Fund's risk exposure in response to changes in expected returns
Controls and frameworks governing travel and sensitive expenditure